I met James-aka J C Michael a year or so back when I first started showing my work to the crowd over on authonomy. We exchanged critiques with each other and swapped our Indie publishing stories etc.
Earlier this year, James submitted his book Discoredia to Books of the Dead Press when their submission doors opened, and Roy Daley, founder and owner of the publishing house snapped him up. (clever man that Roy Daley obviously)
Well, after months of cover redesigns and book editing, James is finally here to tell us more about his novel Discoredia. I'll be quite frank with you, Discoredia isn't just a thriller book, or just a horror book. Discoredia is quite honestly a twisted and brutal tale of horror AND thriller all rolled up into one messed uo crazy as hell ride. It will have you gasping, and have you glued to your chair until the very last page. This man has a seriously messed up--but very cool-- mind.
James is currently working on the sequel to Discoredia, and he's offering you a very unique opportunity. I'm actually going to copy and paste the message he sent me since it had me rolling over laughing (not literally, but I did laugh a lot.)
Claire, the sequel to Discoredia, Dark Designs, is currently undergoing a re-write. The prize is to have five things, of your choice, embedded within the novel. It could be your name, an animal, your registration plate, the name of your business, an insult, anything. The idea is for it to be personal to you, rather than totally random. I reserve the right to trim back anything too detailed (a red elephant on a skateboard smoking crack while a one winged duck on its back sings Sign O' The Times may just end up as a skateboarding elephant). In order to enter people must 'like' my Facebook page www.facebook.com/discoredia and state which Tobe Hooper movie makes it into my horror Top Ten. The answers on my website www.discoredia.weebly.com winners to be picked out of the skull of an executed murderer (or my flat cap if that proves more practical). Message either myself or James on Facebook with your answers. https://www.facebook.com/events/151001158431798/?fref=ts#!/ClaireCRileyAuthor?fref=ts
J C Michael is the pen name of a bloke from Yorkshire whose dry sense of humour, inability to put up with fools, short arms, and deep pockets, make him an ideal fit for his regional stereotype. Although personally mellowed by fatherhood his writing remains brutal and uncompromising. Discoredia, his first novel, released in September 2013 with Books of the Dead Press.
Discoredia Blurb & Cover
Let's take the opportunity to get to know Michael a little better
Get To Know J.C. Michael
Five facts about you that people won’t know about you. Can you juggle? Ride a bike with no hands? Drink beer upside down? Something unusual… GO!
1. I have seen a U.F.O (I’m not saying it was aliens, but it was certainly an object, which was unidentified, and flying)
2. I used to hold a licence to drive a dumper.
3. If I could visit anywhere in the world it would be Machu Picchu.
4. My favourite biscuits are bourbons.
5. I find it difficult to think of five interesting and unusual facts about myself.
Five facts about your newest book that people won’t know. Some background history on one of your characters maybe? Maybe it was going to be called something completely different to start out with? Is it the same genre it started out as?...
1. The name H. B. Woodrose comes from the Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seed, a hallucinogenic seed containing a chemical similar to L.S.D.
2. Most of the D.J and M.C names are real.
3. If I could make music I’d love to make a track sampling the theme from The Great Escape. Since I can’t I made reference to such a track in Discoredia, in the hope that someone else will make one.
4. The hallucination where one of the characters sees a Predator-esque targeting triangle is based on a genuine hallucination experienced by a close friend of mine.
5. The first draft of the book opened with the scene where Warren and Steve are watching the news. The opening which is now in place was added later to give the book more of an initial impact, and, dare I say it, more bite?
Five facts about your next book… Name, genre, expected date of release…
1. The working title is Discoredia II: Dark Designs.
2. It’s currently complete, but needs revising.
3. A lot of the characters from Discoredia make an appearance in the sequel, irrespective of whether or not they died in the first book.
4. It’s still a horror, but the fantasy elements of Discoredia are expanded upon.
5. Date of release? Depends how Discoredia does. The better that sells, the more likely I am to press on with revising the sequel as opposed to working on something new.
Three tips that you think might be useful for other authors… anything you want. It could be, to write a certain amount every day, only write after midnight and never get Gizmo wet (Sorry, that’s Gremlins not writers! My bad.) Maybe it’s some information that was given to you that has helped your process…
1. Have patience, don’t rush out a below par manuscript just because it’s easy to self publish.
2. Give Authonomy a try with a view to getting feedback on works in progress, but try to avoid getting drawn into the race for the desk.
3. Write for yourself, not just your potential audience. It results in a more authentic product.
Come back tomorrow to sample a short flash fiction story that James has prepared just for you, and don't forget to enter this really unique competition.
Subscribe To My Blog
BUY LIMERENCE HERE